City of Winchester UK
Home Page Home Page


Short Block, Peninsula Barracks. Serle's House

The sections below give a brief description of each of the six Military Museums in Winchester.
Click on the heading, or the icon, and the official web site for each will open in a new browser window.

More about the Gurkha Museum


Follow the history of the Gurkha from 1815 in the old Indian Army up until 1948 when the four Gurkha Regiments transferred to the British Army. From 1948 the displays depict their service all over the world, and commemorates a distinguished service to the Crown and the gallantry of the 25 Gurkhas awarded the Victoria Cross.
The first Gurkha Museum was established at Church Crookham in 1973, housed in a wooden hut. In 1989 this was closed and the artefacts transferred to Winchester. Officially opened on 16 July 1990 the Museum commemorates the service of Gurkhas to the British Crown since 1815, and to safeguard the heritage of the Brigade of Gurkhas by the conservation of records and artefacts pertaining to the old Indian Army Gurkha Brigade, the post-partition Brigade of Gurkhas and the present Brigade of Gurkhas.

 Peninsula Barracks, Romsey Road, Hampshire. SO23 8TS
Tel: 01962 828 536   E-mail:

Click for the Museum Web Site


For 180 years, Nepal has sent the finest of it´s young men to serve in the Gurkha regiments of the British Army.  Now many are old and frail.  These gallant old soldiers, who have given so much to us, desperately need our help. Many Gurkhas do not qualify for a British Army pension.  Nepal is a desperately poor country.  There is no state welfare system, monsoon floods and natural disasters are an ever present threat.  There is only one doctor for every 20,000 people.
Working through 24 Welfare Centres in Nepal, the Trust provides basic welfare pensions and medical care for 11,400 Gurkha old soldiers and widows.  Each year, every serving officer and soldier in the Brigade of Gurkhas contributes a days Pay to the Welfare Trust. This still leaves the trust to find in excess of  £3 Million a year, just to honour it’s present commitments.
A gift of just £20 will support a Gurkha ex-serviceman for a month.
A gift of £240 sponsors a veteran for a whole year.

Please help us win one more battle for these proud, gallant veterans.

PO Box 18215, 2nd Floor, 1 Old Street,  London, EC1V 9XB 
Tel:  44 (0) 20 7251 5234   Fax: 44 (0) 20 7251 5248

Click for the Museum Web Site


Said to be one of the finest regimental museums, it relates the history of the 43rd and 52nd (The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry),  95th (The Rifle Brigade), and 60th Rifles (The Kings Royal Rifle Corps). These regiments were amalgamated in 1966 to form The Royal Green Jackets. There are some fine battle displays and 34 of the 59 Victoria Crosses awarded to the regiments are on display.

 Peninsula Barracks, Romsey Road, Hampshire. SO23 8TS
Tel: 01962 828 549   E-mail:

Click for the Museum Web Site


Two Cavalry Regiments, The 10th Hussars and The 11th Hussars combined to form  The Kings Royal Hussars. See the display recording the famous Charge of the Light Brigade.

Peninsula Barracks, Romsey Road, Winchester.
Tel: 01962 828 541   E-mail:

Click for the Museum Web Site


The Light Infantry Regiments of  Durham, Shropshire, Yorkshire, Somerset and Cornwall were amalgamated in 1969 to form this modern streamlined Regiment. The displays concentrate on the modern role of the regiment, and feature displays from the Gulf war and the regiments peacekeeping roles around the world.

Peninsula Barracks, Romsey Road, Hampshire. SO23 8TS
Tel: 01962 864 176   E-mail:

Click for the Museum Web Site


Originally a voluntary Malitia, in 1992  the Royal Hampshire Regiment was amalgamated with the Queens Regiment to form the Princes's of Wales Royal Regiment (Queen´s and Royal Hampshires). The Museum comprises four connected rooms with a wide range of exhibits from the time the Regiment was raised to the present.
The large garden to the front of the house is dedicated and maintained as a Garden of Remembrance to all Members of the Regiment who have died in action or whilst in Service with the Regiment.

 Serle’s House, which houses the museum, was built about 1730 for William Sheldon. It fronted ‘Bowling Green Lane’ , originally Saxon ‘Gar Street’. The building has been in military use since 1781 when it was purchased by James Serle.

Serle's House, Southgate Street, Winchester, Hampshire. SO23 9EG
Tel: 01962 863 658   E-mail:

Click for the Museum Web Site


The History of military policing and corrective training, pay and administration, education and law and of women in the Army.

The Guardhouse, Peninsula Barracks, Romsey Road, Hampshire. SO23 8TS
Tel: 01962 877 826      E-mail:

Main Site Map

Site Map.

UP one Level.

Up One.

Home Page.


Main Site Map

Site Map.

©Copyright 1990 Group-Web Holdings  ©

Group-Web Logo

P.O. Box 33, Winchester, SO23 0YX, UK.